Friday, July 23, 2010

The Poacher's Son by Paul Doiron

Warning, this review contains spoilers, read at your own risk.

Warden Mike Bowditch is a 24 year-old rookie with less than a year on the job in the mid coast woods of Maine. He's searching for a bear that has stolen Bud Thompson's pig only to find the pig lying dead on the ground uncovered by the bear. While questioning Bud he finds that the two of them have something in common, their partners have left them behind. Mike likes it that way at this point in his life although he misses Sarah a lot, she had much higher expectations of Mike, wanted him to be a lawyer instead of a Warden in the Maine Warden Service. The phone message he receives from his father that he's not seen nor heard from in over two years puzzles him and can't help feeling that something is up.

Two years previous to this night Sarah and Mike went fishing in Rangeley and on the way met Jack Bowditch, Mike's father, in Dead River Inn near Flagstaff. A lot of bikers, hikers and locals were at the bar on a busy night, needless to say this was not a nice place for pretty a woman to be walking around. A fight breaks out when Sarah is being bothered by a couple of biker guys and Mike gets hit by a beer bottle bringing him to the floor.

Mike plants himself in the middle of the investigation so that he can be sure that the police do a thorough investigation of all the possible suspects. He interjects himself so much that he may end up losing his job in the Maine Warden Service. I must admit I was riveted to the book until I was finished, I couldn't help myself. As I kept reading I had several possibilities of suspects in mind, but as I kept reading that suspect changed several times. I would have never guessed that Mike's father really did kill those men. There are so many twists and turns that keep you reading until the very end. I loved the great twist with Brenda, she sure was waked out, but it added to the suspense of the whole story.

I’ve been to Maine in the general area of the writing of this book and the woods of Maine can be very daunting.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails